Continental Focus, International Reach

Total Expands Mauritanian Position

Thursday, December 13, 2018

Total and Mauritania’s Ministry of Petroleum, Energy and Mines signed an agreement awarding the French firm two new exploration and production contracts for Blocks C15 and C31 deep offshore Mauritania. The blocks cover a combined area of 14,175 sq km.

Total will be the operator of these two blocks with a 90% interest alongside the Société Mauritanienne des Hydrocarbures et de Patrimoine Minier (SMHPM), Mauritania’s state-run oil firm, holding the remaining 10%.

Combined with its participation interest and operatorship in Blocks C7, C9 and C18, the award of these new blocks strengthens Total’s position in the emerging hydrocarbons basin offshore Mauritania.

“This agreement contributes to the implementation of Total’s strategy that aims to explore basins in proven yet underexplored petroleum systems,” said Arnaud Breuillac, President Exploration & Production at Total. “The addition of these new blocks to our existing positions demonstrates our commitment to the development of the Mauritanian oil sector and will enhance Total’s presence in West Africa, one of the Group’s core exploration areas.”

According to its exploration program, Total plans to drill a well on Block C9 in 2019.


« GO BACK